The large wooden Howick Marine Hotel was accidentally burned down when a guest did not realise that you had to turn-off the electrical appliance when the ironing was finished. Electricity had just arrived in Howick in 1925. The bell at All Saints Church was rung as an alarm to arouse residents to help man the bucket brigade. We had no fire brigade then.

Using the hotel’s well, some were able to prevent the fire destroying the bar facilities in a shed nearby. Next morning there were many heroes pleased with their efforts in saving the bar and its contents, savouring some of the liquid refreshments.

Compiled by Howick Historian Alan La Roche